A Couple of Moving Tips and a Lot of Gratitude

Hi there,
I think we're all well aware of the fact that I've moved across the world multiple times! The first time I was 2 months old when my family moved from Canada to Australia. The next time was 10 when we moved back to Canada from Australia. Four years later we moved from Canada to Cambodia. Then I moved for the first time alone from Cambodia to Canada via Australia for two weeks and Texas for another two weeks. This time I'm not moving quite so far. Just down to Texas. A four-hour flight away. So, through all these moves I've definitely made some mistake and through those mistakes, I've learned a lot! 

  1. Get your ducks in a row! By this is mean get organized by writing a list! This has helped me tremendously in this specific move. I have a lot to do in preparation. So, when I first got here I sat down wrote a list of all the things I had to do. Then, on each of my days off, I chose one to tackle. That gave me ten months to check off the whole list. I tried to write it in chronological order so I could work my way down. This helped me to not forget the small but important things so I wasn't scrambling at the last minute to get it all done. Now with three weeks to go until the move I just have two or three things left on my list. Today I wrote my resignation letter.

    We sang hymns by the water! 

  2.  Try pack too far in advance! This may sound like a weird tip. When I moved to Canada from Cambodia I came with only one suitcase and a backpack! And now moving to Texas I am attempting to go with only two suitcases and a backpack. The key to my success was packing too far in advance! I packed about a month in advance in Cambodia. I had way too much stuff. But over that month I got to see what I actually used and which things I didn't actually need/want. Therefore, I downsized so much finally being able to fit it all. Three weeks out from my next move I've just started this process. It allows me time to figure it out without being stressed. 
  3. Don't bring the day to day items! So, I never move with toiletries or coathangers and sadly I may be leaving my candles behind. These things take up needed space and usually add a lot of weight. These are all things I can easily purchase in my next location. They're not expensive and they're common items. This leaves me space and weight to bring the sentimental items and my more expensive things. Trust me, I know that it's hard to throw or give away things that are perfectly good and you use all the time! But, it will cost me more to have them shipped. So, when I arrive in Texas I'll just re-purchase these things.
  4. Don't get too distracted by moving! It's easy to get all caught up in all there is to do when moving. It's easy to let it occupy all your time and thoughts. But, in the weeks up to my move, I have always come to a point where I sit and realize just how blessed I am to be where I am now. Every time I am hit with gratefulness as I observe the blessing of my current surroundings. Be thankful for the time spent in a place no matter how short or how hard. For me, this moment came Thursday night. Each Thursday night my College and Career group has a Bible study. Last night was our last for the summer and therefore it was my last all together! As our leaders thanked us all for the year and we thanked them for their hospitality and generosity I looked around the room and tears came to my eyes. It wasn't completely out of sadness but more out of thankfulness. Please don't ever become too preoccupied with what is next that you forget how wonderful the right here and now is.
Is there ever a bad time for ice-cream?

have been overwhelmed by thankfulness and gratefulness these past few weeks. And my Bible study was another moment in that. I was flooded with thankfulness for each of the people in that room last night. Those people have made Cambridge feel like home. They welcomed me and have made me family. They've made me laugh until I almost peed my pants. They have driven me all over southern Ontario. They have stood by my side in struggles and heard my rants. They've gotten to know me deeply and shared their lives with me also. They have invested in me and helped me to grow. In these next few weeks, I am trying to fill my days with the people I'll miss. I can bring my clothes with me. I can bring souvenirs and photos. I can bring memories and memorabilia. But I cannot bring what is most valuable to me; these people. These moments of deep gratitude have been filling my days recently; at church on Sunday and out eating ice cream with friends. Even though I am trying to save and make as much money as possible in these last days I can't help but jump on every opportunity to be with these people even if it means missing a day or two of work to go camping or get glitter on my face at Ribfest with a friend. Let's make all the memories we can and cherish them forever.

God bless,
Darcy-Rea

P.S. Here are a few photos from the few days I got to spend visiting family in Quebec. 
View from Mont-Royal

Just a cool abandoned building


A Restaurant that had a cool vintage feel

And of course a beautiful sunset!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update

Our Little Wedding Plans