"What is love?"

“What is love? What would you say love is?” I was asked this the other day and I had no clue how to answer it. But I’ve been thinking about it a little bit. I’d say I love a lot of people and if I’m being honest with you, I’d say I think I love them well. But what does that even mean? Since I started following God I’ve learnt so much about what love is, especially his incredible, perfect love for me. Jesus is the ultimate example of love. He was a walking, speaking, breathing example of true love. But I still can’t put into words what love is. I think everybody’s answer would be different. I don’t know if you can actually perfectly describe it with one word or even a sentence. But I think you can show it with your actions. So, to me, these things are love.
  1. True love is based on God and a reflection of God. God is love so he is present in every loving relationship, encounter or heart. He’s my inspiration and model for love.
  2. True love is unconditional. It doesn’t matter who they were, how annoying they’re being or how far away they seem, you love them all the same.
  3. True love is committed. It’s there to help you through those rough patches. It’s there as a shoulder to cry one. Always! It’s lifelong and doesn’t lose hope. It never gives up.
  4. True love is selfless. It gives its everything to serve and to help. Even if that means pain or giving something up. Love wants them to be happy, comfortable and safe above everything.
  5. True love is intentional. It works hard to win you over then even harder to keep you. It’s still working in those mundane days. It's purposeful. It is intentionally committed, selfless and vulnerable. Love is a daily choice you make. 
  6. Love is vulnerable, honest, raw and real. It’s not afraid to admit itself. It’s not fake. It’s in the tears shed or the moments of pure, unadulterated joy. It doesn’t hide. It’s there for all to see.
  7. Love isn’t blind. It can see people faults, their shortcomings, their mistakes. But it loves them anyway.
  8. Love is forgiving! It doesn’t keep a record of people’s wrongdoings. It doesn’t hold a grudge.
  9. Love makes you strive to be better, do better and try harder. It gives you a reason to improve, grow and learn. It encourages you to do what is right.

“What is love? What would you say love is?” I guess I would have to answer that to me love isn’t just saying “I love you.” It’s showing “I love you.” It’s in every service, compliment and look. To me, it’s in the little things. It’s in saying good morning or smiling at a stranger. It’s in carrying something for somebody or checking in on them. It doesn’t have to be this big, over the top, grande thing. It’s a kiss goodnight or remembering their favorite things. This is what love is to me. But what is love to you? Go out and show the world how much you love them! And show them how much God loves them! Go, be love!
Darcy-Rea

Chhady Heng! I call her Ming (Aunty). She loves everyone so much! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update

Our Little Wedding Plans