Living in Community

Hey there, 
You know, having teams is tiring. Long days of sweaty work then nights of restless sleep. You’re constantly answering questions and fixing problems. Always calling tuk-tuks and taking people places. There’s always cleaning to do and people to help. Sometimes food goes missing or things get broken. There is always cleaning supplies to buy and bike tires to pump up. When they finally leave I’m left exhausted. I finally sleep longer hours and the house is decently clean. I get alone time and free time. I look better because I have more time to get ready and rest more. I don’t spend so much money on coffee or tuk- tuks.
Our little PVT team was a blast!
But at the end of the day I wouldn’t have it any other way. When they leave I’m left sad. Missing the hustle and bustle that never seems to leave the house. There’s always somebody to talk to or do stuff with. Weekends are filled with meaningful coffee dates and memorable adventure days. I have a reason to wake up early and a reason to go to bed late. Worship is unforgettable and Bible studies are always around the corner. With thirty girls living in one house theirs always clothes to borrow and somebody to braid my hair. If somebody is sick there is suddenly thirty mothers taking care of them. My time is always filled with important things. They always bring fresh perspectives and always have something to teach me. To see everyone gather together at meals, worship or game nights is really cool. To have so many different people of different backgrounds and upbringings working as one team is even cooler. You’re constantly surrounded by support and love. Living in community has quickly become one of my favorite things. There’s just nothing like it. It has taught me so much over the past six months. 

1. Firstly, pick your battles! 
Is it really that important if there are muddy footprints through the house? Will you really miss that last sip of chocolate milk you’d been saving? Does it actually matter if you stay up a little longer helping somebody lice comb their hair? In life we must choose which battles are actually important to fight. Somethings won’t matter tomorrow and far less in eternity. So, breathe. And then choose if you’re actually going to get mad at that girl who used your hairbrush without asking. Or that guy who came back five minutes after curfew. 

2.Serve people in the little, everyday things.
It is so easy to serve those you love in the little, everyday things. Clean up somebody else’s dirty dishes. Sweep around everybody’s stuff instead of just your own. Give somebody a lift. Pay for somebody’s coffee. Fold somebody else’s laundry. These things are usually supper easy to do and take only an extra few minutes. Yet we are often so inward looking that we don’t even consider doing them. These things also usually make other people feel so loved. Because you took the time out of your day to do something simple for them just because you wanted to. 

3. Don’t judge people from the first time you meet them. 
I know it’s so easy to do and I’m often guilty of it. But, I often live with up to thirty women. People are intricate things. We have layers to us which take time to uncover. The first thing you judge about them is the very outside. Their is always so much more to people than just that. For example, I’m terrible at meeting new people. I hate introducing myself to them and I feel awkward and nervous in those situations.  Usually happy to sit in the corner and just watch people at first. I may seem shy, antisocial or introverted. But when you get to know me you’ll quickly discover that I’m a bubbly extrovert who always has something to say. I’m at every social gathering and love to be friends with everyone. Sometimes first impressions are right sometimes they’re not. So, don’t base you’re entire opinion of that person on that moment when they clumsily, messily and sweatily got of the bus. Give people a chance to show you what’s underneath that very outside layer. 
Riding to ministry... or maybe a cafe. 
Living in community is an amazing thing and I love it so much. I really wouldn’t want to live any other way. Now, I must say, this is not for everyone. But I think everyone should get the opportunity to try it once in their lifetime. Even if it isn’t for you I guarantee you that it will teach you something. There are high moments and low moments in the house. But it’s that way no matter who you live with, even if it’s just you. But, for me, the great times are so worth being tired all the time. 
Darcy-Rea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update

Habakkuk: a Hidden Gem in the Old Testament