The Art of Resolutions

Hi there,
We're two weeks into 2019 already! With a new year comes new years resolutions. Many people make them and many people break them. According to this Business Inside article, 80% of new years resolutions fail by February! So, here's what I've learned about them, how to stick to them and what mine is.

So, first of all, why do people make new years resolutions in the first place? I think that often people feel slightly (and maybe subconsciously) guilty about the excess we seem to have during the recent holidays. We tend to eat more food and spend more money. This makes sense when you find out that weight loss and money saving are the most popular resolutions made. I also think it's because it's the beginning of a new year. It's a fresh start and a chance to do better or be better than the previous year. You want to promise yourself that you'll make improvements.


I think people set themselves up to fail in the first place. They give themselves vague, unattainable promises they know they'll give up on in two weeks. Don't make a resolution just for the sake of it! But if you still want to make one, here's how. You are more likely to stick to your resolution if it's more detailed. So, you want to give yourself a deadline, a specific amount, a certain number or a method. You want to say your objective, your method of achieving it and when you will achieve it by. Also, quit saying "I want" and start saying "I will". One more thing. Accountability. If you have somebody keeping you accountable you're so much more likely to succeed! 

Resolutions are supposed to add something good and new to your life. They should improve your life. I think you should be happy with the process and the outcome. I think often, if not always, it should teach you something or give you something you can/will bring with you the rest of your life. I don't think new year's resolutions should be unattainable. They are meant to improve your life, not make it impossible or miserable. It should be something you are confident you can achieve. You can always make it harder as the year goes on or even next year. Start with something small you know you'll do and once you're comfortable with that add something new. So, with all that said here's my new year's resolution. 
I will read one book every month of 2019. 
I just made one. It's nothing crazy. It's something I know I'll do. It will improve my life. I will enjoy it. I hope I will carry this with me after the year is over. And I plan on staying accountable to you. I'm not sure exactly how yet. Would you like me to update you every month? Or should I just write one blog post about all of them at the end of the year? I'd like your feedback.  


As for now, in January I am reading Marriage Takes More Than Love by Jack and Carole Mayhall. Don't worry, I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon. I was given the book for Christmas so I thought I should read it. I don't think there is any harm in preparing for the future. I'm currently in chapter 11 of 35. Which means that if I want to finish by the end of the month I have some catching up to do. It's been good so far and has given me some things to think about. I find that with books like this they do give you advice on marriage but often that advice can be applied to all relationships; such as with friends and family. 
"We must forgive and forgive immediatly."  -Carole Mayhall
This can apply to more than just marriages.  Marriage is one kind of relationship and so advice for this certain kind of relationship can overlap into others. Often what they tell you can help you understand all people better or know how to be a better friend. The book talks about communication, forgiveness and understanding which are all vital components in all relationships. 


In February I'm planning to read Do More Better by Tim Challies which is another book I got for Christmas. I'll keep you updated on how this all goes. How would you like me to do that? (If you want me to do it at all) I hope to be writing again soon. 
Darcy-Rea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update

Our Little Wedding Plans