Our Little Wedding Plans

 Hey there,

It’s been a little while since I’ve written, but boy do I have news! I’ve been extremely busy this week, and I’d like to tell you why.

As you may know, I’ve been living in Georgetown with Sarah and taking care of her daughter, Katie, since late May. But a couple of weeks ago, it was decided that it was time for me to move on. I had no clue where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do. Or rather, I had my dream, but I knew it wasn’t possible. Noah and I were supposed to have gotten married in July, and I was still hoping that would happen soon. However, COVID has been making that quite complicated—possible, but complicated. 


If this dream couldn’t come true, I knew that I wanted to stay in the area, and I knew that I didn’t want to move into someone’s basement again. God arranged some great people to help me search for a place and someone to rent with. We’re still sorting that one out. To buy me a little more time, my mom suggested I go to Quebec to visit family for a little while.


Noah and I in 2018

While I was organizing these things, Noah and I discussed getting married at a place in BC called the Peace Arch. It’s a park that sits on the border between the US and Canada, and it’s neutral land. This means that both Canadians and Americans can be on the same land—even during COVID! We thought that we would investigate that possibility once I was settled into a new place and job. 


While discussing the Peach Arch with Sarah, she suggested that we get married right after I go to Quebec and before I settle in Toronto. This would mean I wouldn’t have to take time off a new job. It would also save me a plane ticket since I wouldn’t have to fly to Toronto between Montreal and Vancouver. It would allow Noah and I to begin the green card process sooner while I work. This is also the best time for my sister to come before she starts her new job.


So in the past few days, Noah and I have pulled everything together to organize a tiny wedding that fits everyone’s schedules. I’ve ordered dresses, booked plane tickets, made phone calls, and written emails. Noah has bought clothes, asked for time off work, looked into insurance, and put together things he’s going to bring up for me. Together, we’ve researched visas, talked to countless people, and prayed about the numerous options before us.


Noah and I in 2019
While in BC, I’m going to stay with my close friend, Carissa, who was in my discipleship group at His Hill. There will be approximately ten people at the wedding, including the officiant and the photographer, who is an old family friend. I'm so excited to get some new photos of us together because we don;t really have any from 2020! A couple of Noah’s friends will drive with him from Texas to stand by his side. My sister will fly over, and I will also have Carissa by my side. We would obviously love to have all of our friends and family with us in person. Instead, we’re going to invite some people to join a live Facebook call.


Our wedding anniversary will be on September 21st! Noah and I will say our vows on Canadian-American neutral ground, which seems quite fitting for us. People will tune in from around the world—from maybe five different countries! We’ve asked our parents and Noah’s pastor to handwrite us letters that we can read together on that special day since they can’t be there. I plan to keep these in an album or box for the years to come, along with some polaroids and our vows. Once we’ve said our vows and taken some photos, we’re planning to have a picnic in the park with those present. I’ll ask that you please pray for good weather! I’m really hoping that it won’t be too cold and that it won’t rain or snow.


Our future remains enshrouded in unknowns! I don’t know where I’ll go when I get back to Ontario on the 22nd. We don’t know when or how I’ll be able to be reunited with Noah in Texas. But God has a plan, and we’re trusting him with every step moving forward. His plan has been beautiful thus far, and so I can’t imagine it being anything else in the future. As God has continued to turn my plans on their head, He has always given me something better. So as we walk into this fog, I can’t help but believe that He’s got something wonderful and well worth it on the other side.


The closest photo we have to 2020!

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13 (NIV)


Together, Noah and I have been reading and studying Habakkuk. If you haven’t read it before, I highly recommend it, and I’m planning to write a blog post about this book that has taken a special place in my heart for months now. It’s all about trusting God, even when you don’t understand what He’s doing. It’s about knowing who He is and, therefore, trusting Him with the future when it doesn’t make sense to us. This has been such a comfort and encouragement to me this year as God has consistently done things I can’t comprehend!


“Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5 (NIV)


So, as Noah and I move into this next stage of our lives, I’m so excited to see what will happen—not because I know or understand it, but because I know Who God is, and I know that He’s working for my good and for His glory. If you think of Noah and me, I would please just ask you to pray that we bring glory to God through our marriage and that we keep Him at the center of our lives. May He be the decider of every decision we make. Thank you so much to everyone who has prayed for us and supported us over the years! We couldn’t have made it this far without you. We hope that you continue to walk alongside us. The journey is just beginning!


Until next time, friends,


Darcy-Rea Theriault


A few photos from Jordy's recent visit!


Comments

Jordan said…
This will be exciting! We live right by there. Just a heads up, the Canadian side is closed, but you can still access the US side from Canada, you'll just need to find road parking as the provincial park is closed :)
Tye Hardin said…
So excited for y’all!! Congrats!!

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update