Lessons from a Cafe

Hi there,
I'm going to start this blog off by saying a HUGE thank you! I am incredibly blessed and at times I have been overwhelmed by it! Ever since I left Cambodia, over two months ago, God has provided from my every need and so much more. He has a tendency to answer prayers I never prayed and give me things I never asked for. He knows what I need better than I do. So, for everyone out there who have been praying for me, I want to sincerely thank you! Plane tickets were paid for, I was given places to stay, I was given so many warm clothes along the way including a bag full from a stranger who heard I was coming. I got a wonderful, welcoming church, a fantastic group of young people to study the Bible with and some great friends. I've met other missionary kids, which is a massive blessing I didn't know I needed! I got the first job I wanted and applied for. I now have a wonderful manager and co-workers. In fact, that's what this blog post is about; my new job.
I am a barista in training for a cafe and roastery called Monigram. Monigram has three locations with a fourth opening soon. I work at their second locations which is in a building called The Old Post Office. It is owned by an organization called the Idea Exchange. They turned the building into a Library. But not a regular library. It has no books. Instead, you can use your regular library card to use musical instruments, recording equipment, VR, video games, sewing machines, 3D printers, engraving machines and more! On the main floor is the cafe where I work. It's a really cool building and environment.
A view of the river from a window at work.
I went in for my first ever interview on a Wednesday, went in to sign papers on the Friday and started the job on the Monday. I've been working there for a month now. I have a wonderful manager and great co-workers. It's located in a beautiful building and we have fantastic customers. It was a whole lot of learning at first! I'm still learning and probably will be for a while. So, what do I do exactly?
I do many things actualy. My overall job/role is to run the front of house. I usually work with one other person. Though at times it can be just me and if it's busy there will be three of us. At times this means running the till and taking orders. Other times it means being a runner and delivering the food and drinks. It can also mean being a barista and making the drinks. I can make tea, hot chocolate and of course coffee. I was taught how to use the espresso machine and dial in the espresso. I work Monday to Friday and I always open in the mornings at 10:30.
The beautiful building I get to work in every day!
Today, I also wanted to share with you a few things I've learned since I started my new Job a month ago.
1. Coffee is a science! Do not underestimate your barista. There is so much that goes into making the perfect espresso... it's crazy. There are so many factors that can change the taste from the humidity in the air and the warmth of the machine to the size of the grind and how long the water runs through the grinds. It can make the espresso taste sour, dry and bitter or smooth, creamy and even. It''s your job to adjust everything to make sure it tastes the best possible. 
2.  Your attitude makes a massive difference! A simple smile and a "Hi! How are you this beautiful morning?" makes a huge difference. If you are positive and happy towards others they are 10x more likely to be positive and happy back. This applies as both the person serving the customer and the customer. Remember your cashier is a person too! A "Pease" and "Thank you!" makes a big difference to us. I love being cheery! It's kind of fun to brighten other's days! You should give it a go! Also, please do be chatty. I remember three kinds of customers. The regulars, the pains and the ones I've had conversations with. 
3. I'm not good at hiding my stress! One thing you're told to do is not to let the customer see that you're stressed or overwhelmed. You're taught to breathe and keep your cool. Well, let's just say that I'm not very good at that just yet. It's a true skill and I'm sure I'll learn it with time. 
4. How to budget. I always kind of knew how to budget and manage money. But, living here has brought that to a new level. I know there's still more to learn and I'll get better at it as time goes. I think it's a very immportant skill and I'm glad I have it under my belt for the future. 
5. Customer service and hospitality. One of the most valuable things I was told about how to treat customers is that we are to treat them as if they are guests in our house. This is a constant help in how we greet and treat our customers.

A cup of coffee as I walk home after work one day.

I have learned so much since I left home. But, I also know I have a lot to learn yet. God has blessed me in ways I could not have imagined and I can't wait to see what the next year here holds! I'll do my best to keep you up to date. Until next time,
Darcy-Rea 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Bible Study Methods

A Little Life Update

Our Little Wedding Plans